I was just flipping through one of my new favorite cookbooks - Oh She Glows and was inspired while reading the Nuts & Seeds section. I incorporate various nuts and seeds into my diet on a daily basis and thought it would be fun to do a 10 week post, each week featuring a differed nut or seed. Each post will include the health benefits, what I use them for and recipes.
I hope you enjoy!
- Excellent source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- Source of Fibre
- Contains: Iron, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus
- Source of vegetarian protein
- Helps regulate appetite, sleep and improve mood
- Chia does NOT have to be ground like flax to receive health benefits
- We use 1 Tbsp. of Chia Seeds every morning in our Green Smoothie
- Thickening agent - Chia seeds expand/gel when mixed with liquid so they are great for making puddings
- Use as an egg substitute in vegan baking - Mix 1 Tbsp. of ground chia seeds and 3 Tbsp. water, let sit for 5 minutes and viola you have the equivalent of 1 egg!
- Sprinkle into cookies, muffins, cakes or any other baking
- Sprinkle onto salads or pastas
- Almost Instant Chocolate Chia Pudding - Oh She Glows
- Coconut Cream Pie Chia Seed Pudding - How Sweet It Is
- Chia Chocolate Mousse - The Iron You
- Banana, Chia, Spinach Smoothie - What's Gaby Cooking
Chia can be purchased at most grocery stores in the bulk section, at Costco, or at health food stores. I hope you enjoy chia seeds as much as I do or will be inspired to incorporate them into your diet!