Thursday 10 April 2014

Top 10 Favorite Nuts & Seeds - Week 1: Chia Seeds

Happy Thursday! 

I was just flipping through one of my new favorite cookbooks - Oh She Glows and was inspired while reading the Nuts & Seeds section.  I incorporate various nuts and seeds into my diet on a daily basis and thought it would be fun to do a 10 week post, each week featuring a differed nut or seed.  Each post will include the health benefits, what I use them for and recipes.  

I hope you enjoy!

Chia Seeds


Health Benefits

  • Excellent source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids
  • Source of Fibre
  • Contains: Iron, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus 
  • Source of vegetarian protein
  • Helps regulate appetite, sleep and improve mood 
NOTE:
  • Chia does NOT have to be ground like flax to receive health benefits

Common Uses
  • We use 1 Tbsp. of Chia Seeds every morning in our Green Smoothie
  • Thickening agent - Chia seeds expand/gel when mixed with liquid so they are great for making puddings
  • Use as an egg substitute in vegan baking - Mix 1 Tbsp. of ground chia seeds and 3 Tbsp. water, let sit for 5 minutes and viola you have the equivalent of 1 egg!
  • Sprinkle into cookies, muffins, cakes or any other baking
  • Sprinkle onto salads or pastas

Recipes

Chia can be purchased at most grocery stores in the bulk section, at Costco, or at health food stores.  I hope you enjoy chia seeds as much as I do or will be inspired to incorporate them into your diet! 


Danielle


Sources: Chia Seeds Benefits: Huffington Post, Oh She Glows


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I've been wondering what the deal is with chia seeds.

    Lisa.

    ReplyDelete