My all time favourite soup is the Greek Lemon and Orzo soup from the 'Plaza' in Kenora, Ontario. So unbelievably yummy! I was craving this the other day so I experimented with a recipe I found online. It was not nearly as good as the Plaza's but it was still very tasty! We enjoyed it with toasted Nann bread and a side of sliced tomatoes with goat cheese, fresh basil and a balsamic reduction drizzle.
Greek Lemon and Orzo Soup
- 64 ounces (8 cups) chicken broth
- One 2-inch strip lemon peel and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch saffron or saffron powder
- ½ cup orzo
- 2 large eggs plus 3 large yolks
- 2 drops hot sauce
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped (a couple of generous handfuls)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pita chips (any flavor), for serving
- In a soup pot, bring the broth, lemon peel, bay leaf and saffron to a boil. Stir in the orzo and boil for 5 minutes. Cover, remove the pan from the heat and let the orzo steep for 5 minutes. Discard the lemon peel and bay leaf.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolks, lemon juice and hot sauce. Whisk in ½ cup soup to temper the eggs, then whisk the egg mixture into the soup. Cook on low heat, whisking, for 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley; season with salt and pepper. Serve with pita chips.